The Canadian Police Canine Association was formed in 1978 by several dog handlers who were interested in seeing how their counterparts were performing in the same job as themselves. The CPCA has grown considerably since those early years, however, our main objectives have remained the same:
- To promote friendship and brotherhood between all those interested in the training and utilization of the Police Service Dog.
- To unite and assist Police Departments in the training and continued improvement of Police Service Dogs.
- To establish and conduct regular “Police Service Dog Trials” for the purpose of establishing levels of proficiency.
- To provide educational material through publications and awebsite.
- To coordinate the exchange of any advanced techniques of training in the utilization of Police Service Dogs.
- To improve the image of the Police Service Dog to the general public.